The Nicolae Minovici Museum has reopened in Bucharest, after 25 years, with an exhibition dedicated to the Minovici brothers and to the medical practice in the period in between the two world wars.
The opening exhibition will feature the forensic medicine kit that belonged to Dr. Nicolae Minovici, exhibited for the first time, and many other related objects. The exhibition is organized with the support of the Dr. Mina Minovici National Institute of Forensic Medicine, the Fr. J. Rainer Anthropology Institute, the Rotary Octo Bucharest Club and of Dr. Radu Ciudin.
Brothers Nicolae, Mina and Stefan Minovici were active in the field of forensic medicine, pharmacy and chemistry. Nicolae Minovici also studied the arts and was a fervent art collector. He established the emergency service Societatea Salvarea in 1906 and the first emergency hospital in Romania in 1937. He served as the director of the Forensic Institute in Bucharest between 1933 and 1940.
The Dr. Minovici Museum, also known as the Minovici Villa or the Villa with Bells, can be found in front of the Miorita fountain, close to the Banaeasa train station and the Baneasa neighborhood of Bucharest. The villa was built in 1905, according to plans of architect Cristofi Cerchez, and opened for visitors in 1914. In 1937, Nicolae Minovici donated the property and the collection to the commune of Bucharest.
The museum hosts a collection of traditional Romanian art, gathered from all over the country: icons, ceramics, fabrics, wooden objects, traditional music instruments. The collection was built gradually, between 1900 and 1941. Very many items in the collection are traditional costumes from the Suceava, Ilfov-Vlaşca and Argeş regions of Romania. Local art of the in-between-wars period is represented with works by Eustaţiu Stoenescu, Arthur Verona, Bednarik and Costin Petrescu.
More details about the opening exhibition can be found here.
Photo source: Muzeul Minovici Facebook page