The Bucharest Pinacotheca (Pinacoteca Municipiului Bucureşti) is organizing starting July 29th a retrospective of its main donations, made by collector Ioan Movilă and sculptor Filip Marin, and of its most representative works acquired in between the two world wars. The event, which allows the public to see the collection for the first time in 20 years, is hosted by the Sutu Palace, the headquarters of the Bucharest City Museum.
The Bucharest City Museum re-established the pinacotheca and undertook various restoration works starting with 1994. It was established through a decree of King Carol II of Romania in 1933 and is the result of several donations mad starting that year. Some of them were Elena Movilă and Ioan Movilă, Filip Marin (Marinescu), the Artistic Youth Society (Societatea Tinerimea Artistică) or the Automobil Club. It used to be hosted in the building which currently hosts the Bucharest Astronomy Observatory.
Following the 1977 earthquake, the building hosting the collection closed down and the patrimony was moved, without following any conservation norms, in the basement of the Romanian Socialist Republic Art Museum and in the Melik House. Part of the works were saved and passed the test of time. The patrimony of the pinacotheca counts over 5,500 works, mostly paintings but also sculpture and decorative arts, according to the Bucharest City Museum. Paintings by some of the most important Romanian artists are part of the collection, including works by Theodor Aman, Gheorghe Tattarescu, Nicolae Grigorescu, Ion Andreescu, Ştefan Luchian, Theodor Pallady, Nicolae Tonitza, Marius Bunescu, Nicolae Dărăscu, Jean Al. Steriadi, Dimitrie Ghiaţă, Corneliu Baba.
Photo: Muzeul Municipiului Bucuresti Facebook page